Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Caramel Apple Pie

My husband has been asking me forever to make an apple pie. I like apple pie - but I don't love it. So I was thinking about what I could add to it to make me love it too.. and I thought of it BAM! Caramel!! I can't think of anything better than caramel to make me love something! :) My fave kind of caramel right now is milk caramel (better known as Dulce de Leche).

So with that in mind, I baked up this little ditty!


Unbaked pie crust (top and bottom) either homemade or store bought.
5 to 6 medium sized Granny Smith Apples
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups Dulce de Leche (milk caramel)

You can buy Dulce de Leche, or you can make your own. If you'd like to make your own this is how you do it: Place 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (with the label removed) into a large pot and cover the can completely with water. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-4 hours depending on how dark you like your caramel. Turn off the heat and let the can cool in the water before opening.

I was being lazy and rather than making a crust from scratch I just used pre-made Pillsbury packaged pie crust. But if you're going to make your own crust - do that now! :)

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Peel, core and cut your apple into slices of desired thickness (I just use my apple corer so it cores and slices it at the same time).

Melt the butter in a large pan over med-high heat. What the butter starts to foam, add the apples and saute for about 8 minutes.

In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle it over the apples in the pan and reduce the heat to med-low. Simmer for about 1 more minute.

Using a slotted spoon, move the apples from the pan to a baking sheet spread in a single layer to prevent them from going soggy.

Add the cream to the sugar/butter mixture in the pan and cook for about 5 - 8 minutes until the mixture is thickand pourable as caramel (this simply isn't enough caramel for me - that's why you need the dulce de leche).

Pour the apples, caramel mixture from the pan and the dulce de leche into a large mixing bowl and combine well.

Pour the apple mixture into your unbaked pie crust. You can add the top crust layer as either a full layer OR you can do what I did and make a lattice crust. (To do this, just lay your pie crust out on a flat surface and using a pizza cutter (or knife) cut into equally thick slices and lay across the top of the pie in a lattice pattern). If you do it as a full layer, be sure to slice a few slits in the pie crust to allow for heat release.

Pop the pie into the oven and bake it for about an hour until the filling is bubbling and the top pie crust is brown. I placed a large cookie sheet on the rack below the pie to catch any filling that bubbled over.

Serve warm with ice cream (or frozen yogurt) and if you wish - you can even drizzle a little more caramel on top! Mmmm....

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Another neat thing I have done with the top pie crust is use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes from the dough. Then you place it on top of the apples, overlapping the shapes slightly. I've done this using a star shaped cookie cutter and it turned out great! I've been looking for a maple leaf shaped one to try, but haven't found one yet.

    ReplyDelete