Monday, 2 May 2011

Cinnamon Buns

My husband and I love cinnamon buns, we're big fans of Cobs Bakery and we always buy them from there, but I decided to give them a whirl myself! I had a recipe I had written down a while back that I'd never tried so I dug it out and gave it a try!

They turned out pretty darn good!! Nice and gooey, and I topped ours with cream cheese icing! They were mighty tasty (I ended up eating 5 of them!!!!).



Dough
1/4 ounce package yeast (approx. 1 tbsp)
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup scalded milk
1/3 cup butter
1 tsp salt
1egg
3 1/2 - 4 cups flour

Filling
1/2 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp ground cinnamon

Cream cheese icing to top them off! For the recipe click here

In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in warm water and set aside. In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and eggs. Add two cups of flour and mix until smooth, then add the yeast mixture and mix in the remaining flour until the dough is easy to handle. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5-10 minutes. Place in a well greased bowl and let it rise until doubled (about an hour to an hour and a half).

When the dough has doubled, punch it down and roll it out onto a floured surface into a large rectangle.

In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon together well, then spread the melted butter all over the dough and sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly overtop. Roll up the dough (rolling from the longest part of dough) and pinch it together to seal it. Cut it into about 12 to 15 slices.

Coat the bottom of a baking pan with butter and sprinkle with a bit of sugar. Place the rolls about an inch and a half apart in the pan and let them rise until the dough is doubled (approx. 45 mins).

Bake at 350 F. for about 25 - 30 minutes or until they're nice and brown.

While the rolls are baking make your cream cheese icing (again for this recipe click here)

Serve warm with the cream cheese icing on top.

Enjoy!!



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. You are going to be my new cooking book :) I am definitely making these this weekend as a treat

    ReplyDelete