Monday 16 January 2012

Cream Soda Cupcakes

So I learned about these "pop" cakes on Rachael Ray, she had a girl called "The Hungry Girl" on there (no I had never heard of her before I made my blog... apparently I live under a rock.. oopsie!) but anyways, this lady does  stuff for Weight Watchers so I'm surprised I'd never heard of her, and she puts together low fat recipes, or just healthy ideas for snacks, etc.

One of these healthier options is a pop cake. It's when you use a box cake mix and instead of adding the eggs, oil, etc. like the directions on the box says to, all you add is a can of pop (diet pop preferably). I guess it will take a cake that's like 500 to 700 calories and make it into something like only 100 calories. So I thought I'd give it a whirl!!

I love cream soda and I figured it would be a nice little flavor for my first pop cake. But you can use any flavor you like (orange or root beer are on my list to try!)



For the Cake 
1 box white cake mix
1 can of cream soda

Preheat the oven as per the instructions on the box. Line your muffin tins with cupcake liners.

Put the cake mix into a mixing bowl and add almost the whole can of pop (reserve a couple of tablespoons for the icing). Mix it thoroughly and pour into cupcake liners.

Bake as per directed on box.

Remove from muffin tins and let cool on racks.

For the Icing
1/2 cup butter
3 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp cream soda
1 tbsp vanilla
A couple drops of red food coloring.

Begin by mixing 2 cups of the icing sugar with 1/2 cup of butter. Once it's creamy add in the cream soda and vanilla. Add in the remaining cup of icing sugar.

Once everything is mixed to creamy add in food coloring until icing is pink throughout.

Ice your cupcakes and you're ready to go!

Enjoy!!

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. how many weight watcher points is this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, I haven't figured the points values out for any of my recipes.

    I don't subscribe to the WW online tools to calculate points values, and I haven't taken the time to add up all the nutritional value for each of the ingredients to figrue it out. :(

    I personally just count them as 4 points each to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole...if the recipe makes 12 cupcakes, it's 5 points. The recipe on 2 other sites show the values and I used my WW calculator to figure it out. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete