Wednesday 8 June 2011

Chocolate Oreo Cake

The same weekend I made the strawberry trifle for our BBQ, I had to whip up another quick dessert for my hubby because he's allergic to raw berries (well, I didn't HAVE to, but I wanted to.. I'm a good wife like that! Haha).

So I just did a quick chocolate cake (the same one I used for my cheeky monkey cupcakes) and then I added a nice creamy oreo icing.

I just did a one layer cake since I didn't need a huge, honkin' cake that I'd be left to be tempted by! But the recipe below is for a 2 layer cake.



Cake
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 pkg instant chocolate pudding
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips (coated in flour to keep them from "sinking")

Icing
4 cups icing sugar
1 1/3 cups butter
25 oreo cookies (crushed) + a couple crushed cookies for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 F - Grease your cake pans and coat with icing sugar (or flour.. I prefer icing sugar).

In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, eggs and vanilla. Once it has been mixed well, pour into your pans, dividing equally amongst the two, and pop them into the oven.

Bake the cakes for about 25 - 30 mins, or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Make your icing by combining the icing sugar and butter and beating until smooth. Add in your crushed oreos and mix well by hand.

Once you're cakes have cooled, remove them from their pans. Lay the first layer upside down on your cake platter, and ice the top of it. Place the second layer on top of that icing, then ice the top of the second layer and garnish with a couple of crushed oreos.

Enjoy!!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I think I want to make this for my birthday, but make it more colorful. haha

    ReplyDelete