Monday 4 April 2011

Death By Chocolate Trifle

This is a little dish that both my Mom and my Grandma J have been making for a long time. Every Christmas as kids we'd race down to the fridge in the basement at my Grandparents house to see if Grandma had made this dessert (Okay.. maybe I still race down to the fridge to make sure she made it). But it's absolutely delish!

My friend Helen made a huge batch of this last week and brought it into work for a co-workers birthday and after having a small plate of it I was craving more and figured I'd make it this weekend for our dinner guests.


1 box chocolate cake mix (+ eggs as per ingredients listed on box directions)
2 pkgs chocolate pudding
4 cups of milk
1 large tub of cool whip (or whipping cream - whichever you prefer)
1/3 cup Kahlua
10 Skor chocolate bars (You can use less, but I LOVE a lot of skor in mine)
Caramel topping for drizzling

Start by baking the cake as per the pkg directions on the box. Once the cake is done, let it cool for about 10  minutes, then take a fork or a knife and make punctures all across the top of the cake and drizzle the kahlua overtop. Let the cake cool completely while the kahlua soaks into the cake.

While the cake cools crush up your skor bars (I put mine into the blender and pulsed it until it was crushed to my liking).

When the cake is cool, make the pudding as per the pkg directions and let the cool whip unthaw a little bit so that it's easy to mix and spread.

Start by spooning some of the cake out of the pan and into the bottom of a clear bowl (for presentation, the bowl doesn't have to be clear). Top that cake with some of the pudding, whipped cream and crushed skor. Continue layering until you've used all your ingredients. Make sure the top layer is all skor.

Drizzle caramel overtop of the skor and serve.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment